PoohRO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterChatLog in

RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nateriver

nateriver

Male
Number of posts : 270
Job/hobbies : laptop, rpg games, day dreaming
Humor : what?
Registration date : 2009-01-18

RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Empty
PostSubject: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:25 am

Since i am not playing pooh-ro ingame(well you can see me most on this forum), & i think i'll be leaving? Here's a GENERAL GUIDE of Ragnarok.
note: read before you think this is basic /gg

Alright, this is gonna be a LONG guide, it's meant for teaching a few basics to RO as well as some advanced things only a few people know (mostly pros, and some semis, I'm not saying I am pro, but anyways enough of that, this is a guide for all RO players, young, middle-aged, and old, or in other words, newbies, semis, and pros).

And just a couple word before starting, remember this: "No one is a pro from the start, everyone starts of as a novice and generally, even though they move on change jobs and learn things which make them supposedly pro, they are still newbies because there is always someone out there who can beat them, they can choose to not accept it, but it's the truth. Everyone was a newbie some time..."

My advice to you is to NOT try reading this all in at once, unless you either have no life or somehow have a HELLUVA lotta time on your hands. But enough of that, let's start off with some basic pointers that everyone should realize…

Oddly enough, although RO is a game, like some games it uses math a lot, mostly in calculating damage, drop rates, etc, and doing so in % (percent) values.

Ex. Hydra Card = Increases Damage to Demi-Human Monsters by 20%.

Basically what this means is it increases your base damage against a specific race [Demi-Humans, as implied by the card's description] by a certain amount.

20% is 1/5th (one fifth) of 100%, so let's say you do about… 500 damage to Demi-Human monsters. If you use a Hydra Card, then the +20% damage increase would increase your total damage output with skills and normal attacks by 1/5th of your total damage, dividing 500 by 5 would be 100 so you get +100 damage. To make this simpler for some of you mathematically challenged people, here's a (kinda) diagram.

Basic Damage without Hydra Card = 500+0% = 500

Basic Damage with Hydra Card = 500+20% = 600 (20% is always the rate of your specific value divided by 5, so 5 divided by 500 = 100)

Now, what some people (mostly inexperienced people) think is that due to this they can just use 4 of that one card, increasing their damage by 80%, which is a lot when you think about it. However, Gravity is tricky, and developed ways around this to balance RO out. For one thing, you can only have a max of THREE of one specific card in your weapon, if you put a 4th card in with the same effect (ex. 4x Hydras) then the effect of the last card won't work (meaning you won't get that extra 20% from the last card). And they're cunning in yet another way! Having more than one of the same card (mostly only cards that increase damage by 20% or higher) will slightly diminish the amount you get from the cards. Here's a way I use to commonly explain it to people:

Weapon = Hydra, Hydra, Hydra = +20%, +20%, +20% = +60% damage?

Weapon = Hydra, Hydra, Hydra = +20%, +17.5%, +15% = +52.5% damage?

Having more than one of the same card (like I said, mostly only with +20% cards) will slightly decrease its value, which is why many experienced people use different cards to couple the effects. Now remember, the decrease amount will only take effect IF THE CARDS ARE THE SAME IN NAME, NOT SPECIFICALLY IN EFFECT.

Ex. Weapon = Hydra, Hydra, Hydra = +52.5%

Ex. Weapon = Hydra, Hydra, Turtle General = +20%, +17.5%, +20% = +57.5%

Ex. Weapon = Hydra, Hydra, Turtle General, Turtle General = +20%, +17.5%, +20%, +17.5% = +75%

Getting the hang of this so far? If so, good, if not, be warned there's a lot more ahead…

This effect doesn't exactly take effect with cards that increase damage by 5% (mostly magic increasers…) because if it did then by the 3rd card you'd get no more increase at all.

That's just about it for the %s, now moving on to basic stats guide.

In the MMORPG, Ragnarok Online, there are many different factors with a player's stats that can either be helpful or detrimental to their play experience. These factors vary between the stats of a player, different server types (Low Rate, Mid Rate, High Rate, and Super High Rate), cards, armors, weapons, skills, and so on so forth. Let's start with the stats themselves:

There are 6 base stats that affect everything about you,

[Str] - Strength - Increases physical attack damage with short-ranged weapons, ranging from your bare fists to spears and many other melee weapons.

[Agi] - Agility - Increases your ASPD (attack speed), your flee (the chance of physical attacks missing you completely), and also slightly decreases after-cast delay for some skills (mostly physical skills).

[Vit] - Vitality - Increases your max HP (hit points), your Vit Def (the factor on the right of the Def -> 0+5), and your natural HP recovery rate.

[Int] - Intelligence - Increases your max SP (soul points, which is used to cast skills and sometimes used for some other factors as well…), your magical damage with spells, your Int Mdef (the factor on the right of the Mdef -> 0+5), and your natural SP recovery rate.

[Dex] - Dexterity - Increases your physical attack damage with long-ranged weapons, ranging from arrows to guns, and also increases your Hit value (your chances of actually landing a hit on your enemy), and lastly, decreases your cast-time for spells that actually have a cast-time (ex. Cold Bolt, Bowling Bash, etc) [however, some skills cannot have their cast-times decreased by Dex, such as Double Casting, and Kaizel].

[Luk] - Luck - Increases your critical rate, perfect dodge, and also slightly increases your attack strength by tiny amounts.

These 6 stats will help you in many ways, depending on what class you are. There are many skills, cards, weapons, armors, and effects that can either increase or decrease these values. Now, to explain the other stats on the bar.

[Atk] - Attack - The base amount of damage you do with normal physical attacks, be it melee or long-ranged. Skills are affected by this value, however, many skills increase overall damage in percentage, which is why it's a base value. This stat is increased by Str for melee attackers, and Dex for long-ranged attackers.

[Matk] - Magic Attack - The base amount of damage you do with magical attacks, which of course can only be counted from skills, since there is no magic attack that is not a skill. Many skills increase the overall value, however, there are a few that keep it at the same base amount (ex. Cold, Lightning, Fire Bolts, Heaven's Drive, etc) but attack with more than one hit.

[Hit] - Hit - This value affects your Hit rate, which is your chances of actually landing a hit on a target when attacking, be it normal attacks or skills. Magic is not affected in any way by Hit, since magic generally never misses, so this value is only useful for those who rely on physical damage.

[Critical] - Critical - This is both a useful and detrimental factor. Critical hits are chance hits that ignore the Armor Def of its target (the value on the right of Def 0+5) and does double the normal amount of damage you do, and critical hits also ignores Flee, which means in a way it never misses (except against perfect dodge, which will be explained later). The downside to this factor is that it nullifies certain passive skills, as well as the effects of some cards (Double Attack, Occult Effect [thanatos/ice pick]) and that the damage inflicted with critical attacks is only 2/3rds the maximum damage you can attain with physical attacks)

[Def] - Defense - just as one would judge it by its name, this stat decreases the amount of damage done by physical attacks, both melee and ranged. As one would notice, there are two numbers next to Def, which have a + merging them. Many mistake this to mean that the two would increase the overall Defense a person would get, this is only partially true. The value on the left of the two numbers is Armor Def, which is increased by the amount of def you have on the armors you're wearing (all armors, headgears, accessories, shields, footgears, and garments). This value cannot reach beyond 99, (90 in some servers) if it does, then instead it'll overlap itself and start again from a negative number. Armor Def decreases damage in percentage, meaning if you have 50 Armor Def, then you decrease 50% damage from all physical attacks, however, if you have let's say… -50 Armor Def, then you receive +50% more damage from all physical attacks ghost_shocked.gif . Now the value on the right of it is Vit Def, which is increased by your Vit and also slightly reduces damage in some mathematical formula that I do not know of. Some would think then either one of two things, A. "Hmm so that means if I get 99 Def and a load of Vit Def, I'll be invincible!" ghost_cool.gif or B. "Damn if I come across a person with a load of Def, I'm screwed…" ghost_sick.gif The truth couldn't be far from that, Gravity implemented two different effects to counter these issues. Piercing, and Occult Effects; Piercing IGNORES Def, so you'd be doing the normal damage you should be doing as if the target had no Def at all. Occult on the other hand, USES Def, so you'd be doing even MORE damage than you normally would be if a person had a high amount of Def. And to this, some people may say "So using the two cards would be perfect! If I did that, I wouldn't have to worry about Def being too high or low anymore! Joy! ghost_wow.gif " No. Since the two effects deal with Def, yet have different effects altogether, they would cancel each other out if used together, meaning you would only get one effect most likely. To dumb this down, I'll describe what does more damage with what.

Example Def Amounts:

99 + 200

-99 + 5

Now from what I've been seeing all across the forum and even ingame here, everyone says "ya, negative def is good ghost_yes.gif " but that's not entirely true… I tested it and it's got a couple detrimental sides to it.

99 + 200 Def = More damage from Occult Effects (Thanatos, Ice Pick, Investigation, etc)

-99 + 5 Def = More damage from Piercing Effects (Incantation Samurai, Brocca, Combat Knife, Spiral Pierce, Sacrifice, etc)

So having negative Def values is good ONLY against Occult Effect, because it decreases its damage massively, but seeing as how many people prefer Piercing, it's self-destructive against someone that knows their cards.

Basically what I usually do is keep my Def to around 40 + 100 just to keep it safe. Not too high, not too low. That's not an advisable amount, but it's something to start with if you wanna try.
Back to top Go down
nateriver

nateriver

Male

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:25 am

Ok, done with defense, dammit that was long...

[Mdef] - Magic Defense - Like defense, this stat reduces damage, but against magic instead. The values are the same with Def, (Armor Mdef + Int Mdef), however they work in a different way slightly. Armor Mdef is just the same as Armor Def, so no need to explain that again, it's ignored by several weapons and cards (ex. High Wizard Card, Staff of Piercing, Vesper Card) and works in the same way. Int Mdef however, works very differently. The amount of Int Mdef you have is the amount of Magical damage reduced, which means if you have 0+1000 Mdef, then you only reduce 1000 Damage from magic (so if a mage does 2500 damage per bolt with fire bolt on you, then with 1000 Mdef, the damage becomes 1500, not much help now is it?). This isn't completely useless, it is in HRs and SHRs but in LRs sometimes that small amount of Int Mdef you have can make a difference.

Oh, and there are no Occult Effects for Magic, only Piercing, so no need to worry. ghost_cheers.gif

[Flee] - Flee - Increases your flee rate, or dodge, the chance you have of dodging a physical attack and the chance of a physical attack missing (yeah yeah, getting redundant... Moving on). This is increased by Agi, cards, armor effects, skills, etc etc. Need I say more? Get a load of this and not that many physical attacks will land on you. (Perfect Hit gets through this, as well as Critical hits, and a fuckload of Hit (Skills have higher hit values than normal attacks)).

[PD] - Perfect Dodge - Makes you completely evade attacks regardless of hit rate, etc.This value is located on the right side of the Flee value. This increases slightly depending on the amount of AGI/FLEE you have. This can be overrided by Perfect Hit, which can only be attained through cards.

[Aspd] - Attack Speed - Pretty self-explanatory, having more of this increases how fast your attack rate is, be it super slow, or extremely fast. Increased by Agi and slightly by Dex.

Now, for the one stat that is not visible in the window, but actually exists.

[PH] - Perfect Hit (Seeking) - This value can't be increased by anything but card/weapon effects, and in some servers, custom effects. This completely ignores Flee and Perfect Dodge, allowing you to land a perfect hit (works mostly with skills, and slightly with melee/long range normal attacks).

Aaaand, done with stats. Moving on to the next lesson…

LIST OF BASIC RAGNAROK EFFECTS:

Not really a lesson, more of an FYI list for the newbies and a reference chart for others, a "fill-in" if you get what I mean.

Piercing = Ignores the target's Def or Mdef values dealing more damage.

Occult Effect = Increases damage based on the target's Def values.

Knockback = Knocks the target several cells away from their current position, either in a straight line or in random areas. Common throughout many skills… Ex. Charge Arrow, Charge Attack, Skid Trap, Storm Gust, Jupitel Thunder, Brandish Spear, Spear Stab, Arrow Shower, Backsliding, Bowling Bash, etc.

Stun-Lock = Available in almost every skill that can be spammed and does multiple hits. It makes the character flinch, forcing them to pause for about 1 second before being able to move again. Can be spammed with many different skills, and can be nullified by the "Endure" effect.

Area of Effect = Many magic skills are based upon this, meaning that they have wide areas where the effects of their skills take place, usually spanning several cells wide or long (ex. Storm Gust, Sharp Shooting, Bowling Bash, etc)

Skill Restriction = Very few skills have this effect. One common one is Silence. The only way to cancel out skills as of now is Land Protector, which nullifies the effects of Area of Effect skills (mostly magic only, not counting a Ninja's Lightning Crash and Falling Ice Pillar, doesn't affect things like Bowling Bash, Meteor Assault, etc), Loki's Veil, which completely cancels all possible skills in its Area of effect, other than those used by the casters, and anyways, it's an ensemble, meaning that it cannot be cast without having a Bard and a Gypsy in the same party. There are very few others, unless you count Pneuma among other things… Moving on now.

Movement Speed Increase/Decrease = Decreases or increases the walking speed of the targeted by a percentage, diminishing or improving your movement rate. Dreadful when used on yourself, and useful when used on others, and vice versa, all depending on what sort of change you got (improvement or diminishing).

Movement Restriction = Like Skill restriction, very few skills have this effect. What it does is renders your character immobile, unable to move but still able to cast skills. Examples: Fiber Lock (Spider Web), Close Confine, Ankle Snare, Blade Stop, etc.

ELEMENTAL CHART

Now... I'm gonna post an elemental chart, the one off RMS here for reference. Many people apparently mistake how to read this, even some pros, so I'm gonna show you how, as well as describe to you, the reader, how elemental resistances work, Gravity made them JUST as confusing as damage %.

Take note of this one thing first: If the number is 100, then most likely it has no color, which means that the damage done or received is 100%, no more, no less. If the number is maybe like... 125, that doesn't mean they receive +125% damage, it means they receive +25%, so your total damage increases by 1/4th of the max you do, refer to the first percentage section to understand a bit more on damage amounts.

On this chart, everything increases or decreases by either 25% or 50% (So 1/4th, or 1/2). When a number is GREEN, that means the damage dealt to or received from that specific element is increased from that specific element, or towards it, (ex. Water Vs. Fire 1 = 150 so that means that Fire receives 50% more damage from the Water property), if the number is RED the damage dealt to or received from that specific element or towards the receiving element is decreased to that amount (ex. Fire Vs Water 1 = 50 so that means that Water receives only 50% of the maximum damage from the Fire Property). And lastly, if the number is in RED AND it has a negative sign next to it (ex. -50) then that means that instead of receiving damage you're HEALED from all hits of that specific element. If the number is merely 0 that means that no damage is done or received, depending on the element of the attacker and receiver.

(Last note, all cards/armor types for use are only Level 1, you can't get higher than that unless you used Elemental Change, which is an MvP-Restricted skill, but some servers apparently implement that skill as an autocast...)

Understand it now? Okay, now to explain how elemental resistances work and stack with each other...

Let's say you wear an Angeling Card, which grants you Holy 1. Holy 1 decreases damage received from the Water, Earth, Fire, Wind, Poison, and Ghost properties by 25%, whereas it receives 25% MORE damage from Shadow, 100% damage from Undead and Neutral, and it completely nullifies damage received from Holy (0%).

Holy 1:

Neutral = 100% Damage, no increase/decrease

Water = 25% Damage reduction

Earth = 25% Damage reduction

Fire = 25% Damage reduction

Wind = 25% Damage reduction

Poison = 25% Damage reduction

Ghost = 25% Damage reduction

Shadow = 25% Damage increase

Undead = 100% Damage, no increase/decrease

Holy = 0% Damage, complete nullification

So looking at this, some would think (for example) that "Hmm, if I used 3 Dustiness Cards, I could reduce damage from Wind by 105%! Woo!"

Not necessarily... Armor element damage reducers do not stack with other element reducers, instead what they do is they reduce the damage reduced by one factor, if this is confusing, here's a short explanation:

Ex. Earth Vs Neutral 1 = 1000 Damage = (No reduction)

Ex. Earth Vs Neutral 1 + Hode Card = 700 Damage (30% Damage reduction)

Ex. Earth Vs Holy 1 = 750 Damage = (25% Damage reduction)

Ex. Earth Vs Holy 1 + Hode Card = 525 Damage = 25% Damage Reduction, and then the damage already reduced = reduced further by 30%, so 70% of 750 = 525)

Get it? I hope you do... My calculator's screwed up so I had to do that in my head <_<; (yes, even my comp calculator)

If you have any suggestions, complaints, rants, or anything of the sort, leave a post here.

Back to top Go down
zertrex

zertrex

Male
Number of posts : 165
Job/hobbies : Student / Killer
Humor : TO KILL TORA

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 am

lol nice lol ^^
Back to top Go down
http://yahoo.com
LuciferMorningstar

Male
Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : call center agent
Humor : none
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:51 pm

well it's just a copy paste thingy... well it's a bit informative though... but your still a copy cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.gmail.com
nateriver

nateriver

Male

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:17 pm

lol~
Back to top Go down
murkloar

murkloar

Male
Number of posts : 319
Job/hobbies : Captain Obvious/They see me rollin', they hatin'...
Humor : Hurrrrrr, durrrrrr.....

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 am

About the earth vs angeling card, make it like this:

Earth Damage 100 vs Angeling Card Holy lv1 Armor = 25% reduction thus, 75 will be the final damage.

Earth Damage 100 vs Angeling Card Holy lv1 Armor+Hode card = 25% reduction >> making it 75 damage then it will go through the 30% resistance of Hode so..... 30% of 75 will be 52.5! 52.5 is the final damage!

Angeling Card + Hode Card is 47.5% effective Earth Property Attack Resistance.
Back to top Go down
http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/
kaiser18

kaiser18

Male
Number of posts : 189
Job/hobbies : none
Humor : none

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 4:43 pm

wow nice...

lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
https://poohro.forumotion.com/profile.forum
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE   RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAGNAROK GENERAL GUIDE
Page 1 of 1